The nourishing nutrients found in avocado are absolutely fabulous both for your skin and hair. Rich in amino acids and essential vitamins such as A, B, D and E, avocado oil moisturizer works wonders in natural hair. Not only it improves hair strength, but it also heals damage and boosts shine from within. Add an egg and honey for added strength, cuticle repair/building and SHINE!!!
Ingredients: (for shorter hair, cut the ingredients list in half)
2 tbsp mayo or mayonnaise
1 large or two small ripe avocado mashed, pitted and peeled
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (substitute with jojoba oil or sweet almond oil for relaxed hair)
2 tbsp honey (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
Essential oils: 3 drops each lavender, rosemary, tea tree (optional)
In addition to the ingredients above, you also need:
- a shower cap
- a blender, hand mixer or whisk
- disposable gloves
- a clean bowl
- Blend, mix or whisk mashed avocado, olive oil, egg and all other ingredients until well combined. I use my Vitamix blender to puree all ingredients.
- Apply hair mask on damp hair from ends to top, including the scalp.
- If you have a dry and itchy scalp, massage the avocado hair mask with your fingers until all head is covered.
- Tuck your hair in a shower cap. Cover will a warm towel or sit under dryer, optional.
- Use left over mixture as a face mask.
- After 30 – 60 minutes, rinse off the hair mask while massaging the scalp.
- Shampoo, condition, seal in moisture and style as usual.
- Enjoy your silky soft hair!
Note: When using this recipe, it takes the place of my pre-poo treatment. I often sleep with this treatment overnight and rinse the next morning. After rinsing from hair, I follow with apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse, NaturallyFitQt’s shampoo, deep conditioner and shea butter mix before twisting hair.